TRAVEL AND SAFETY TIPS
Hawaii is a beautiful and popular travel destination. Although Hawaii is relatively safe and most people have a wonderful vacation, there are some crimes that exist.
Please keep the following in mind when visiting our islands:
- When you arrive in Honolulu, drop your luggage off at your hotel before going sightseeing. Hotels will usually hold your luggage if your room is not ready. Do not leave your luggage unattended in your car.
- Never leave valuables unattended. This includes leaving them on the beach (even if they are hidden in a shoe, in the sand, or under a towel), in a car or trunk of a car, in a shopping cart, at a restaurant…etc. Heed warnings from car rental agencies and other notices.
- Lock your valuables, such as passports and large amounts of cash, in the hotel safe. Carry as few valuables as possible and only what you need for the day. Never carry large amounts of cash.
- If possible, shop on your way back to your hotel so your purchases won’t be left in your car.
- Keep your hotel room locked and check the peephole before opening the door.
- Always keep your belongings within eyesight when checking in or out of a hotel.
- If you are checking out of your hotel and are not going to the airport right away, leave your luggage with the bell desk or see if you can check in for your flight early. Do not leave your luggage in your car while you do some last-minute shopping, sunbathing, or sightseeing prior to your flight home.
- Be observant and follow your instincts. Be aware of your surroundings, such as vehicular and pedestrian traffic around you. If you sense an unsafe situation or person, take extra precautions or leave the vicinity.
- Bring a photocopy of your identification (such as passport or driver license) in case the original is lost or stolen. Keep both sets separate. Obtaining a replacement passport may also be easier if you have a copy of your passport.
TSA Requirements and Updates
For a list of items that are permitted and prohibited on flight, please visit the following TSA (Transportation Security Administration) link:
TSA Permitted/Prohibited Items
Helpful Travel Links
Here is some helpful contact information to assist you with your travel needs.
Credit Card Companies
MasterCard Global Services – 1-800-307-7309
MasterCard Travelers’ Cheques Lost or Stolen 1-800-223-9920
Visa Lost or Stolen Credit Cards 1-800-847-2911
Visa Lost or Stolen Travelers’ Cheques 1-800-227-6811
Discover Card – 1-800-347-2683
American Express Lost or Stolen Cards 1-800-992-3404
American Express Lost or Stolen Travelers’ Cheques 1-800-221-7282
Experian, National Consumer’s Assistance Line 1-888-397-3742
Experian, Fraud Alert 1-800-311-4769
Trans Union 1-800-680-7289
Federal Trade Commission (FTC) 1-877-438-4338
US Social Security Administration 1-800-269-0271
Air Canada 1-888-247-2262 www.aircanada.com
Air France 1-800-237-2747 www.airfrance.us
Air New Zealand 1-800-262-1234 www.airnewzealand.com
All Nippon Airways 1-800-235-9262 www.ana.co.jp
American Airlines 1-800-433-7300 www.aa.com
British Airways 1-800-247-9297 www.britishairways.com
Delta Air Lines 1-800-455-2720 www.delta.com
China Airlines 1-800-227-5118 www.china-airlines.com
Hawaiian Airlines 1-800-367-5320 www.hawaiianairlines.com
Island Air 1-800-388-1105 www.islandair.com
Japan Airlines 1-800-525-3663 www.ar.jal.com
Korean Air 1-800-438-5000 www.koreanair.com
Lufthansa 1-800-645-3880 www.lufthansa.com
Mokulele Airlines 1-808-495-4188 www.mokuleleairlines.com
Philippine Airlines 1-800-435-9725 www.philippineairlines.com
Qantas Airways 1-800-227-4500 www.qantas.com.au
Southwest Airlines 1-800-435-9792 www.southwest.com
United Airlines 1-800-864-8331 www.united.com
US Airways 1-800-428-4322 www.usairways.com
Flight arrival & departure information in U.S. & Canada www.FlightArrivals.com
Car Rental Agencies
Alamo 1-855-533-1196 www.alamo.com
Avis 1-800-352-7900 www.avis.com
Budget 1-800-214-6094 www.budget.com
Dollar 1-800-800-5252 www.dollar.com
Enterprise 1-800-261-7331 www.enterprise.com
Hertz 1-800-654-3131 www.hertz.com
National 1-800-468-3334 www.nationalcar.com
Thrifty 1-800-847-4389 www.thrifty.com
O’ahu Civil Defense 1-808-733-4300
American Red Cross, O’ahu 1-808-734-2107
International Consulates of Hawaii www.consularcorpshawaii.org/consuls